It’s not uncommon that I come across posts on Tumblr that antagonize schools to extremes. I’ve gained a lot of valuable experience and relationships directly from school, so it’s hard to agree. I’m compelled to talk about how much I enjoy life as a student but I usually stop myself because it makes me look and feel like a complete douchebag. Which leads to the point of this text post…
My housing (my room specifically, being connected to the garage) is infested with spiders. I can tolerate them to a point, but eventually the thought of sleeping with spiders in the room overwhelmed me. I used a bug spray, leaving several large spiders dead on my floor in hours. It took a lot of hesitation before I mustered enough courage to vacuum them away.
I am arachnophobic. When I sprayed the spiders, I wondered what would have happened if they became irritated and swarmed me. When I used the vaccum, I feared it would suck them towards me. When I’m near spiders, the thought of their legs against my skin is unbearable. I have completely irrational thoughts that I could never justify to someone who wasn’t arachnophobic, and whether these thoughts are “fake” or not, they’re responsible for real behaviours.
I needed my landlord to help clear spiders and webs in my room. He was very surprised about how far back I stood when he did so, commenting about how a boy of my age shouldn’t be scared of little spiders. He told me there was nothing to be afraid of, since I could just use a vacuum. I didn’t feel offended at all - only ashamed that he was “right”. But as much as I try to become more tolerant to spiders, it never works and I know I’m probably going to be burdened by my problem for the rest of my life.
Spiders are such a trivial example - it’s almost amazingly fortunate how spiders are the one thing that bring me down on a regular basis. But I think my experiences with them give me a really personal way to empathize people with “conventionally unjustified” feelings. No one should be shamed for being sensitive, protective, etc. about a particular thing and some feelings are too personal for others fairly “rationalize against”. No one should be trying to assert their feelings and experience with X over someone else’s, anyway. This is nothing new to me, just awfully relevant after my recent spider fiasco.
6 large spiders were harmed in the making of this text post, sorry
Right before I woke up I had a dream where I landed a job interview for Nintendo and was sometime later chanting “BIG BREAKFAST. COFFEE. BIG BREAKFAST…”
I got my big breakfast and coffee. Where is my Nintendo interview
"I can’t believe it…Toph?”
Korra holds up a flame, camera switches to her POV and pans to reveal
I also love the new Airbender outfits, you almost forget that the current Airbender fashion is about 170 years outdated
Wait, how is Steven Universe 6.8 on IMDb? That’s ass backwards
In related news: the Steven Universe finale was solid. The entire first season is very solid. Pretty much flawless, I’d say, and I really wish I had more artwork to show for that
THE LEGEND OF KORRA: BOOK 4 airs in just over a week: October 3
Nick failed to properly promote the debut of Book 3 and is making the same mistake with Book 4. So this is a reminder. Spread the word!
Also, I’ll be talking about and/or drawing episodes as soon as they air, so if you watch them later, make sure to blacklist my #spoiler posts.
As someone whose mains in Brawl were Ice Climbers and Pokemon Trainer (specifically Squirtle and Ivysaur, not Charizard), I’d say the cuts in the new smash hit me pretty hard. It’s also worth mentioning that Ice Climber is possibly the first Nintendo game I ever played.
I’m counting on Villager and Duck Hunt Dog (or Bowser Jr.?) to be my new mains but no one will replace my King and Queen of Grab. RIP
Smash 4 thoughts
- The 3DS itself (controls, screen) really don’t make much of a difference at all. 3D works fine and looks gorgeous
- Lack of C-stick is kind of bad, you’re forced to move in the same direction as the aerial attack you input but for quick-smashes it’s not a big deal. Smashes seem may be even easier to input?
- Villager wrecks and his tree planting special is probably the most well-designed move in the game. Dash attack is great, pocket makes for really funny games. Forward/back airs are strange though. Overall incredible at edge guarding especially with his bowling ball
- Megaman is really disappointing to play. Besides his smashes and meteor he has no KO moves - although his side smash is very good
- Mario seems to have quicker aerials, his cape seems worse at recovering though. Pikachu’s new thunderbolt mechanics are more balanced and also favour combos. Didn’t play a lot of Link, still seems generally not good though
- New items: they’re all just really fun. I think it’s by far the best lineup of items in the series